ASP.NET stands for Active Server Pages .NET and is developed by Microsoft. ASP.NET is used to develop web pages as well as web technologies and is an integral part of Microsoft’s .NET framework vision. Being an indispensable part of the .NET framework, ASP.NET is a very useful platform for programmers and developers allowing them to build dynamic websites and web applications using compiled languages like C#.
ASP.NET is not limited to script languages alone but allows making use of .NET languages like C#, J#, VB, etc. It enables developers to build very compelling applications by making use of Visual Studio, the development tool provided by Microsoft. ASP.NET is purely server-side technology.
Microsoft’s Active Server Pages (ASP) was brought to the market to meet this need. ASP executed on the server side, with its output sent to the user’s web browser, thus, allowing the server to generate dynamic web pages depending on the instructions and the actions of the user.
These server-side technologies are important contributions to the development of the Web. Several popular websites including the functional ecommerce websites use ASP.NET as the framework for their site; without ASP.NET it would not be possible. So, here is list of some of the most prominent upsides that you must take note of.
- NET significantly cuts down the amount of code required to build large applications.
- The ASP.NET framework is complemented by an enriched toolbox and designer in the Visual Studio integrated development environment. WYSIWYG editing, drag-and-drop server controls, and automatic deployment are features of this powerful tool that need special mention.
- The processes are intricately monitored and managed by the ASP.NET runtime, so that even when the process is dead, a new process can be created in its place, which helps keep your application perpetually available for handling diverse requests.
- It is an entirely server-side technology so, ASP.NET code executes on the server before getting transferred to the browser.
- As it is independent of language restrictions, it allows you to choose the language that best applies to your application or segregates your application across many languages.
- NET facilitates easy deployment. There is no need to register components because framework itself adapts to the system seamlessly.
- Easily works with ADO.NET using data-binding and page formatting features. It is an application which runs with speed and responds’ to large volumes of users without having performance issues.
In short ASP.NET, the next generation version of Microsoft’s ASP, is a programming framework used to create enterprise-class websites, web applications, and technologies. Desktop to Asp.Net conversion is therefore, essential especially, if you are building a small business website or a large corporate web application distributed across multiple networks, ASP.NET will provide you all the features you could possibly need and this too, at competitive costs.